NAMM MUSEUM OF MAKING MUSIC
Position Title: Museum Educator
Department: Museum of Making Music
Classification: Part-Time, 6 hours per week (average), Non-Exempt
Position Reports to: Museum Education Manager
Schedule: Varies depending on scheduled tours
Under the guidance of the Museum Education Manager, the Museum Educator is responsible for providing engaging, informational and inspirational experiences to students who visit the museum with pre-scheduled tour groups.
Gallery Education Program
- Lead gallery tours as part of the field trip curriculum for preschool, kindergarten, elementary school groups grades 1-5, middle school, high school, college and special needs students.
- Engage students in interactive music experiences (drum circles in particular) for students on fieldtrips or program participants.
- Prepare and breakdown space for student fieldtrips (Set-up chairs, drums, etc.)
- Facilitate on-line presentations of our field trip curriculum for Virtual Tour participants.
- Learn and communicate knowledge of gallery content as well as content for Special Exhibitions and Spotlight Displays.
- Under the guidance and leadership of the Museum Education Manager, ensure highest museum education standards and best practices are used.
- Participate in periodic staff meetings to assess program and provide feedback for improvement.
SKILLS, COMPETENCIES, REQUIREMENTS
- Professional and calm demeanor in high stress situations.
- Collaborative and positive work style.
- Solution-oriented creative thinker, consensus builder with a good sense of humor.
- Knowledge of music, musical instruments and general U.S. history.
- A willingness to learn new material and methods.
- Knowledge of the music products industry a plus.
- A strong commitment to stellar customer service.
- Superior communication skills with all age groups.
- Basic computer skills (ZOOM in particular) and comfort with an on-line environment.
Physical Requirements of the Position:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that conditions and requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodation will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
- Position descriptions do not create employment contracts. NAMM maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason at any time not prohibited by law.